Saturday, December 24, 2011

Is it right for ten-,eleven- and twelve-year-old boys to be encouraged to drive powerful "Go Karts" ...

... and take part in competetitions (on the BBC morning news programme now) when we know that speeding and showing off - not to mention "joyriding" - kills so many young men and innocent child victims these days -





http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/鈥?/a>





In my day boys made unmotorised Go Carts from old pram wheels and such but the promotion of "power" and speed to young boys can only be unhealthy for Society as a whole surely.


My eldest grandson is allowed to watch these "Formula 1" races and I know how boys as young as eight (and younger with toys)get excited by car racing but should *they* be participating at ten?


What do you think?|||My son would love it! I have no problems with it at all. After all the safety of these have improved so much.





How on earth can it be "unhealthy for society as a whole" to give kids something to do? It keeps them from getting into trouble. It teaches them that there is a time and a place for speed and for racing. They learn the safety issues that are involved.|||I watched the "Dukes of Hazard" growing up and never jumped dirt hills, raced from the cops, spun donuts, or transported moonshime across state lines. I was taught that there was a time and place for all things. On the road in my parents car (or my own) was not the time or place to act a fool. Racetracks and go carts are built and intended to go fast and be mildly dangerous. Drag racing can be fun and challenging (and easy for younger drivers). Street racing is illegal and is dangerous for people that are innocent bystanders and should not be tolerated.





It is like separating boxing from beating people up.|||Yeah lady its right. As long as the parents are ok with it, its right. Who are you to say how someone else should raise their kids? If i want to allow my kid to do something like that, and they want to do it, its my families choice.|||would you rather they were drinking on the street or stealing other peoples cars and putting lives in danger. i think go karts and other activitys are great for kids it gives them some thing to do|||It is more dangerous for them to ride a bike or climb a tree.|||There is danger in all we do. If they are taught good values then they'll be fine drivers when its time for the real deal. Who knows they could be the next great race driver! If we teach are children well, yet not hold them back then their potential will be endless .|||We must be a similar age, I remember those days also.


The youngsters competing with carts seem to be very positive and know what they want from life, they see it as a way into F1.


Educating youngsters and learner drivers is the responsibility of the parents.


My son, 29, has had it drummed into him that it is wrong to speed and wrong to drink and drive, now I don't even have to worry that he would even think about it.


I think it is wonderful to see these youngsters enjoying themselves, and there are far worse things they could be doing.


I don't think it is a natural progression from carting to stealing cars, in fact I feel the reverse would be more accurate as the carters get rid of any aggression on the track.|||If it was in an environment where strict attention is paid on the safety of the youngsters, and professionals are involved,, then I don't think there is any problem with children being allowed to do this.





What I do hate are these small mini motorbikes which seem to be the craze now. I have noticed children, where I live, around my sons age (10), zoom up and down the pavement, and the road! on these with no helmets on and paying absolutely no attention to pedestrians or road users. How they have managed to stay accident free I just don't know.





I notice your question relates to boys, in our house its me and my daughter (19) who are to be found 'speedway racing' my husband and son (who both hate motor sports) prefer the quiet life in front of the football! x|||I wouldn't ley my lad have one at all my son would love one of those mini motorbikes but noway would I allow it on our backs teenagers will come down riding bikes and they are so dangerous not just for the rider but the other kids who are playing they should be banned even Joan if it was supervised properly I wouldn't it's bad enough thinking about him learning to drive at 17 he doesn't know how to use a iron so he's got bob hope with a bike!! lol|||I think it's a little dangerous to give someone so young such powerful machines unless they are STRICTLY SUPERVISED (age 10 is far too young) from about the age of 16(pre- learner driver)is young enough.... 11 year olds should be in school making delicious apple crumble(under supervision) Joan, it was the so lovely - there's none left.|||If they are wearing the proper safety equipment why not? They shouldn't be forced to, but there really is no logical reason why they shouldn't be able to reace.|||its controlled and safe at least young 11 and 12 yr olds are not joy riding in real cars on the road.


its fun in go karts i dont see the harm in it.|||perfectly ok,teaches them how to drive and respect for speed,gives them something to do other than sit playing online games and is a great social thing as well for the parents.my dad built me a model car,went about 30mph and that was fast as i was only 8 at the time and drove it in an orchard!!-loved every second and cried when i outgrew it.|||If they are racing in sanctioned events with controlled environments they are going to gain a respect for safety and not be tempted to get involved in street racing and other unsafe practices. Virtually every successful racing car driver got his/her start as a go cart racer as a child.|||My favorite cousin races 150cc motorcycles from age 7 on. His little brother raced them from age 8 on, and still races - Three-quarter midgest with Ford Focus engines in them. I see no problem with children either watching or participating in sports- I think it's wonderful. My kids love to race go-karts at the local family fun center.





Everything in life is dangerous - even milk - if you look at it hard enough. Children must be able to experience it anyway IMO.|||safe enough under supervision.ill give you a race in a box cart down Scarborough hill he he.

No comments:

Post a Comment